Food meme, taken from maedbh7, among many others.
- What’s the last thing you ate? A queso burrito at Qdoba and a glass of iced tea
- What’s your favourite cheese? Depends on my mood, and what I’m using it for. Good cheddar is good for just eating, and pepper jack is good on sandwiches and hamburgers. I like all sorts though.
- What’s your favourite fish? Salmon
- What’s your favourite fruit? Watermelon when it’s fresh and crisp
- When, if ever, did you start liking olives? Dunno. I’m largely ambivalent to olives. I neither particularly like or dislike them.
- When, if ever, did you start liking beer? I don’t really care for beer, though I have found some that I can enjoy if someone is buying it for me.
- When, if ever, did you start liking shellfish? Always. Shellfish, yum.
- What was the best thing your mum used to make? Mom never was much of a cook, but she made a few things I really enjoyed and still consider comfort food. Hot dogs and cheese wrapped in a croissant and baked. And homemade tacos, yum.
If I had to single out one thing, it’d be homemade banana pudding. Yum.
- What’s the native specialty of your home town? Does it have one? Um….Cobb’s Corner, the Holiday Inn’s restaurant, declares itself the “Home of the Banana Fritter.”
- What’s your comfort food? I have entirely too many comfort foods. And I’ve gotten, over the years, entirely too comfortable.
- What’s your favourite type of chocolate? Truffles with different kinds of chocolate mixed together. I love the contrasts.
- How do you like your steak? Rare.
- How do you like your burger? Medium-rare
- How do you like your eggs? Either scrambled with good cheese, or fried medium
- How do you like your potatoes? Baked and loaded with butter. Or mashed.
- How do you take your coffee? Light and sweet
- How do you take your tea? Milk and 2 sugars, please
- What’s your biscuit or cookie of choice? Good Scottish shortbread.
- What’s your ideal breakfast? Three eggs, a rare steak, a side of crisp bacon, and an English muffin with blackberry jam. Alternatively, a stack of good buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup.
- What’s your ideal sandwich? Foot-long sub with good roast beef, provolone cheese, spicy mustard and mayo.
- What’s your ideal pizza (topping and base)? garbage pizza baby. Tomato base and pile on the toppings
- What’s your ideal pie (sweet or savory)? Hrm. Good apple or blackberry pie, served ala mode. Better than pie is cobbler.
- What’s your ideal salad? Crisp greens piled high with cheese, boiled eggs, tomatoes and (real) bacon bits, and generously drizzled with Catalina dressing
- What food do you always like to have in the fridge? Something that can be eaten without preparation.
- What food do you always like to have in the freezer? Steak.
- What food do you always like to have in the cupboard? Good soups. Nothing makes an afternoon of blah go away like a bowl of hot soup and a sandwich.
- What spices can you not live without? Garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper
- What sauces can you not live without? Hrm. Not sure on this one.
- Where do you buy most of your food? Most of our staples come from the local Wal-mart, but we buy all the produce and meat and such at Harry’s Farmer’s Market.
- How often do you go food shopping? Once a week or so.
- What’s the most you’ve spent on a single food item? Gosh, I don’t know. I’ve had some pretty expensive dinners in my day.
- What’s the most expensive piece of kitchen equipment you own (excluding ‘white goods’)? Nothing worth mentioning right now. Get back to me after we buy the new pots and pans and the new knife set. 🙂
- What’s the last piece of equipment you bought for your kitchen? a new cutting board.
- What piece of kitchen equipment could you not live without? The stove. 🙂
- How many times a week/month do you cook from raw ingredients? Most days we cook from raw ingredients.
- What’s the last thing you cooked from raw ingredients? Tacos, probably
- What meats have you eaten besides cow, pig and poultry? Lamb. Alligator. Crayfish.
- What’s the last time you ate something that had fallen on the floor? Don’t know. Do it all the time.
- What’s the last time you ate something you’d picked in the wild? Been a long time, but we used to make blackberry cobbler with the blackberry’s that grew behind our house.
- Place in order of preference (greatest to least): Chinese, Sushi, Italian, Thai, Indian, French
(Thai and Indian rank lower mostly because I’m not as familiar with them.)
- Place in order of preference : Whiskey, Rum, Brandy, Vodka, Gin, Tequila
- Place in order of preference : Garlic, Ginger, Caramel, Lime, Basil, Mint, Aniseed
Er, hard to do since it depends entirely on what I’m trying to make.
- Place in order of preference : Watermelon, orange, strawberry, banana, apple,
- Place in order of preference: Food, Sex, Movies, the Internet, Fashion, Sport
Assuming I’m not actually lacking the availability of any of the above:
Sex, Food, The Internet, Movies, Sport, Fashion
- Bread and spread? Good, whole grain breads, with any of a variety of spreads, depending on my mood. Good creamery butter is nice all by itself.
- What’s your fast food restaurant of choice, and what do you usually order? I prefer to avoid fast food altogether, but if I must, I’ll swing by Wendy’s for a double cheeseburger.
- Pick a city. What are the three best dining experiences you’ve had in that city?
- Sushi with tigerbright, magid, and browngirl in the theatre district before seeing “Copenhagen”.
- Lunch with ladysprite at Fanuiel Hall/Quincy Market before taking a trolley tour
- Dessert at Finale with kitanzi and maedbh7
In each case, it was more about the company than the food, but the food was uniformly good. 🙂
- What’s your choice of tipple at the end of a long day? Whiskey sour.
- What’s the next thing you’ll eat? Whatever is for dinner tonight. Chicken Parm, I believe.
I didn’t pick Boston, because I can’t remember eating anywhere other than Finale. Well, ok, so I can remember the good sandwich had at the hotel, but I don’t call roomservice a ‘best dining experience’. 😉 -H…
“When, if ever, did you start liking olives?”
[Makes sign against round evil] They are good to throw at a wall and go splat! 🙂
“What was the best thing your mum used to make?”
Nothing, really. She was Irish. Irish “cuisine” = put it all in a pot
and cook ’til dull gray.
“How do you like your steak?”
Moo? Noo! Some folks may give me a horrified stare, but I like to be
sure it’s dead (, Jim).
“Place in order of preference :”
“What spices can you not live without?”
I see a pattern here. Why am I thinking of vampires? 🙂 And why aren’t
I seeing onion powder and mushrooms? (OK, mushies aren’t a spice, I guess.)
“What’s the most expensive piece of kitchen equipment you own (excluding ‘white goods’)?”
Don’t know what white goods are but, no microwave, or did one come with the place?
“What’s the last time you ate something that had fallen on the floor?”
‘Don’t know. Do it all the time.’
A follower of the “same day” rule? 🙂
Ann Onynous (heading off to dinner)