Rather than try to backtrack and find everyone I’ve seen post this so I can answer it individually, I thought I’d just post it here, behind this cut tag. Since some of the questions are specific to the questioner, feel free to leave a comment if you’d like me to give you a more personal answer to one of them.
Month: January 2008
This one’s going around, and I keep meaning to answer it myself, which I will in a future post. But I’d like your answers to these as well.
YOU’RE ON MY FRIENDS LIST, and I want to know 36 things about you. I don’t care if we never talk, or if we already know everything about each other. Short and sweet is fine … You’re on my list, so I want to know you better!
Be honest! Copy from here, and then answer the questions in a comment and re-post the EMPTY questions in your own journal
1) Are you currently in a serious relationship?
2) What was your dream growing up?
3) What talent do you wish you had?
4) If I bought you a drink what would it be?
5) Favorite vegetable?
6) What was the last book you read?
7) What zodiac sign are you?
8) Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where.
9) Worst Habit?
10) If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride?
11) What is your favorite sport?
12) Do you have a Negative or Optimistic attitude?
13) What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
14) Worst thing to ever happen to you?
15) Tell me one weird fact about you.
16) Do you have any pets?
17) What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly?
18) What was your first impression of me? (hmmm…careful!)
19) Do you think clowns are cute or scary?
20) If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be?
21) Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
22) What color eyes do you have?
23) Ever been arrested?
24) Bottle or can soda?
25) If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it?
27) What’s your favorite place to hang at?
28) Do you believe in ghosts?
29) Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
30) Do you swear a lot?
31) Biggest pet peeve?
32) In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33) Do you believe/appreciate romance?
34) If you could live anywhere in the world where would you chose?
35) Do you believe in God?
I won’t even try to turn this into anything coherent. I’m not sure I can. First part is behind a cut-tag, because It’s a somewhat self-oriented review of getting the news.
Today we went out and did a little shopping. kitanzi needed to pick up a prescription at CVS, so we stopped in there. While she was talking to the pharmacy, I wandered around looking at things, and found the most bizzare package of dolphin shaped condoms. I’d never heard of such a thing, and finding it appropriately strange, took it over to show my companions. khaosworks gave it an odd look, cocked his head to one side, and said “Is it tuna-safe?”
On Christmas Eve, I watched Scrooge, the 1951 version with Alistair Sim. This is not only my favorite holiday film, it is one of my very favorite films. As I watched it, I realized that part of what makes Sim’s portrayal so great is that he doesn’t overdo his portrayal of “mean Scrooge.” You can still see flashes of the kinder man that Scrooge once was, and this makes it more believable when he transforms into “good Scrooge” at the end of the film.
This ties in with something I have been thinking about a lot lately. It seems to me that people almost never really change — at least, not in the sense of becoming an entirely different person. Instead, I think that people become better or worse versions of what they already are. People’s essential personality traits generally stay the same; but what they put those traits in service of, and which traits come more to the front, will change over time.
With that in mind, I offer this New Year wish. I wish that all of you will become a better version of yourself in the New Year. And I hope, and resolve, that I will do the same.
Something to chew on.
I posted this last year, and I think it still applies. There are many New Year’s wishes. This one is mine.
Hello, and welcome to 2008.
In 2008, may you spend more time looking forward, not looking back.
In 2008, may you spend more time making grand plans and executing them, inviting your soul and being creative, and living life to the fullest.
In 2008, may you spend more time doing small, special things for your friends, your family, your loved ones.
In 2008, may you spend more time laughing, and making music, and increasing the joy in the people around you.
In 2008, may you spend more time helping each other, and holding each other, and saying “I love you” to each other.
Best wishes to you all. The best is yet to be.
Hello, and welcome to 2007. I am in London, safe and sound, and with only a small bit of drama. Kitanzi and I are sitting at the gate at SFO, waiting to board. aiela pointed me at this video, thus demonstrating one of the many reasons I love her: Back in 1996, having been drug by me kicking and screaming onto the Internet, vila_resthal started submitting some of his fiction to an online fanzine called “The Dragon’s Lair”, which was run by a Baltimore fan named Roger Bennett. If cadhla participates in Blog Like It’s The End Of The World Day…..would anyone notice? kitanzi found this via StumbleUpon. The new issue of Aphelion Webzine went up on Wednesday, right on time. This has been a trip, thus far, of exceptionally useful voluntary purchases. I don’t usually mark birthdays here, because I know that I’d forget one sooner or later, but I couldn’t let the day go by without saying Happy Birthday to my darling sweetie, aiela. When asked to describe my musical tastes, the word I’d most often use is “eclectic”. And you can read all about it here!
What can I say? It was a year.