Today is my birthday! In addition to being the anniversary of my debut onto the world stage, it is also a day for commemorating many other notable events.
- June 25th is the birthday of Eric Blair, better known to the world as Animal Farm author George Orwell. 2013 is his 110th Birthday, In fact. It’s interesting to see that nearly 30 years after the events of his seminal work 1984, our society is still actively exploring the future he envisioned.
- June 25th is also the Birthday of Lord Louis Mountbatten, Broadway directory George Abbott, architect Antoni Gaudí, and King Crimson guitarist Ian McDonald,
- Today in 1876, Lt. Col. Custer and the 210 men of U.S. 7th Cavalry were killed by Sioux and Cheyenne Indians at Little Big Horn in Montana, an event is known as “Custer’s Last Stand.”
- On this day in 1967, the Beatles recorded the song All You Need Is Love in front of 400 million people during a worldwide television broadcast. This was one I hadn’t known about, and I think it’s really, really cool.
- In 841, Charles the Bald and Louis the German defeated Lothar at Fontenay.1
- On this day in 1178, five monks reported seeing something explode on the moon.2
- On this day in 1638, a lunar eclipse occurred, the first astronomical event recorded in America.3
- In 1950, North Korea invaded South Korea, beginning the Korean War.4
- In 1951, the first commercial color TV program was a show presented on CBS using the FCC-approved CBS Color System. The public did not own color TV’s at the time.
- In 1966, the tv show Dark Shadows premiered on ABC.
- In 1989, 1st US postmark dedicated to Lesbian & Gay Pride (Stonewall, NYC) is issued.
- In 1993, Kim Campbell became the first woman prime minister of Canada, after Brian Mulroney stepped down. Campbell went on to lead the Progressive Conservatives to their most humiliating electoral defeat that October, winning only 2 of 295 seats.5
- And finally, June 25th marks the anniversary of the passage of 1910′s Mann Act. From this day forth, I will encourage every one to celebrate my birthday by transporting a girl across state lines for immoral purposes.
People should feel free to send me such messages, gifts, or naughty photos as they like. 😉
I have no idea what this is about, but it just sounds cool – reminds me of the Star Trek episode <i>Dharmok</i> ↩
I had nothing to do with it. I was elsewhere at the time, and there are witnesses to prove that. ↩
Again, I had nothing to do with it. ↩
No really, I was at lunch with my girlfriend. I was nowhere near Asia. ↩
Thanks to Joe Isham for the additional information. ↩