So, for this and the other reason, I haven’t gotten around to talking about OVFF. The truth is, due to some personal distractions, I missed a lot of the con itself, but there definitely were some highlights that I wanted to mention.
- Seeing everyone. The main reason I go to cons is to connect with my family, and it’s always wonderful to see folks. I was especially happy that I got to spend some extra time with maedbh7, cadhla, catalana, nrivkis, and ladymondegreen, and it was very nice to meet folks like vixyish and stakebait who I had either not met before, or only met briefly in passing at a previous event. People are what make filkcons rock.
- The Thursday night informal mingle. Lots of talking, and greeting and catching up and having no where in particular to be. Special thank go out to my wonderful, warm, and lovely pillowlap. 🙂
- Having a wonderful, snuggly sleeping partner on Thursday night. Even if I did wake up in the middle of the night and momentarily think you were dead.
- Helping load up the sound equipment to be brought to the con and getting to spend a little time catching up with fuzzyvanman and rms_butterfly.
- cadhla‘s concert. Wow. Wow wow wow. Now, cadhla‘s been stressing over this gig since, well, since she got it, and while I never had any doubt that she’d be amazing, because, duh, she is, she blew away even my lofty expectations. Without a doubt one of the best hours of music I’ve sat and listened to in many a year.
- Frank Hayes’s concert was also delightful. I was especially amused to walk up to him after he left the stage in time to hear him mutter to himself “Well, that didn’t completely suck.” It’s refreshing at times to be reminded that the legends often still have the same foibles as the rest of us, and go through the same pain and effort to bring forth their small creations, however effortless they make it seem.
- chirosinger‘s concert. I only got to hear part of this, but it was lovely. I really need to spend more time listening to her stuff, because it’s always marvelous.
- The Interfilk auction. The auction is always fun, but this year was especially entertaining, with wenches running everywhere and Bob the Auctioneer back in the saddle after a year off. I swear, I wish we could get Bob to travel to the other filkcons, because he adds so much to the experience with his obvious enjoyment of our unorthodox event. I only bid on one thing, which very swiftly shot out of my price range, but I got wenched by cadhla, which eased the sting of missing out on the item.
- The Sunday Pool party. The dead dog pool bash has become a tradition at filkcons that have indoor pools, and we made good use of it here. There was much splashing and laughter and merriment, and it made me happy.
- Wild Mercy’s concert on Sunday. If I weren’t so strapped, I’d have bought the store out on their stuff. Utterly groovin’, and I’m looking forward to hearing more from them in the future.
- Most of all, having at my side the most wonderful person anyone could ever hope to meet in a lifetime. Four years ago, at this very con, in this very hotel, I connected with the woman who become my sweetie, my partner, and my wife. Happy anniversary, love. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the life we have together than surrounding ourself with music and family and love.
To people who didn’t seen enough of me, or to whom I may have seemed distant or withdrawn, I apologize. It was entirely me, and nothing to do with you. I hope the next time we meet, I’ll be more engaged and less aloof.
I did take a lot of pictures, some of which even came out well. I’m already looking forward to next year’s con, which I know will be a lot of fun, as always.
I am reminded why I miss ConChord so very much.
I really really hope that by next year my health and finances might allow me to go.
I did take a lot of pictures,
That is beyond “a lot” of pictures and into … into some other more hyperbolic adjectival phrase. Like the bit in the Spider Robinson book where he discusses, IIRC, “a Jesus-load of alder wood”. Or something like that.
Anyway. Working on the slide show. They need CAPTIONS! The nature of the online world is such that hey, I might know some of these people, but not recognize them. Okay, I recognize the Suttons. Anyway. Captions.
In your copious spare time.
/still needs a filk icon, bother
Just for you, I went and captioned the whole set. There’s a few ?’s where I wasn’t 100% positive of a person’s name and didn’t want to call them by the wrong name, but there you go. Captions. You may thank me now. Or later. Whenever. 🙂
Thank you! I am slowly working my way through them.
There was a Mad Hatter party? Cool. I like the interpreter. Remind me someday to tell you the story of how Moira Breen won the Totally Tasteless and Tacky Revue with her own… sign interpreter one year at ConChord.
Bill Sutton gets some amazingly evil expressions. I do like him. And Brenda.
The had an Evil Overlords Anonymous March? Oooh. Did you see Jamie’s costume tonight?
Niiiice sweater! Where’d Larissa get the pattern?
There was a mad hatter’s party! Judi Miller is astounding, and her signing is a whole performance in itself. She’s going to be Interfilk guest at a con upcoming (FKO, I think), and it’s well deserved. She’s always a highlight of OVFF for me.
Bill and Brenda are Good People ™
No, I don’t think I did see Jaimie’s costume.
Larissa’s sweater was knitted by the lovely
You’ll see why the march reminded me of it.
Awwww, he’s *adorable*
“Yes, I’d forgotten you’re moonlighting as a criminal mastermind now. Got your next heist planned?”
“No, but I’m thinking of growing a big black mustache. I’m a traditionalist.”
--Book and Simon, “War Stories”
Yep -- *exactly* the quote I had in mind while I was buying the black eyeliner pencil!
I think we met en passant (i.e. we passed each other in the halls) a lot, when I was mostly chasing after M. I’m sad that I couldn’t participate more — I hate being a “filk wallflower”, especially with my musical talents — but the daughter comes first, lest I get the Evil Eye from R.
Understandable, and I do wish I would get to hear you play more.
Wonderful pics! Thanks for posting them.
Looking forward to seeing you and Larissa at GAfilk!
Looking forward to seeing you too. Missed you so much at OVFF!
Sorry I missed you at OVFF. Thanks for helping out
set up for the concert. I had planned on helping, but I scheduled the wrong week off from work… and I know that can be a tough job if the time is tight. I hope you sent those pictures to Bob’s work address, and not his home, as he requested. *grin*
*grin* I don’t actually have a contact for Bob, or I would send him the photos. He really has become a part of the OVFF Interfilk Auction experience, and I’m glad he’s part of it. He’s a great guy.